"There is no sight on earth more appealing than the sight of a woman making dinner for someone she loves."
Thomas Wolfe

Food is Love © 2007-2010 | All Rights Reserved |
Please Ask First!
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Food-o-grafie #4 - Software

>> Wednesday, April 8, 2009

As I promised Zorra of Kochtopf - 1x umrühren bitte that I will participate in the fourth edition of Food-o-grafie with Software as the theme, here I am writing you the post about software I use in editing my food photos.

If you think I am using a modern and sophisticated software as the famous Photoshop or Adobe Lightroom, you are wrong. I don't know how to edit photo in Photoshop though I have PS CS3 on my laptop. At present, what I always did in my PS CS3 is only making watermark and putting them on my photo as all editing was done with another software, a user friendly one.

In my early time of photography, I used Picasa to edit all my photos, but after one year using it, I found that it is not enough for me. So I surfed the net to search another software.

I am really glad that I bumped into this software that suits to my need in photo editing and the most important "user friendly". This software is similar to Lightroom, but more easy to use and understand. It can be used to process RAW, JPEG and TIFF image files as I was curious to try shooting in RAW. It's called PhotoStudio Darkroom.

I started to shoot in RAW since last February and I found it really fun as you can do more in editing than shooting in JPEG. Though shooting in RAW gives me more flexibility and possibility in editing, but I've always tried my best to do less editing as possible. In my book, a photo with heavy editing is like a beautiful girl with tons of make up in her face. Lose her natural beauty!

Yup! I am the biggest fan of natural looking photographs, especially food photos. IMHO, food photo doesn't need heavy editing otherwise it will look artificial and make me lose my appetite. Heavy editing is not my cup of tea.

I will share you the two type of image files that I edited with PhotoStudio Darkroom.

1. JPEG image:

Camera: Canon 400D - Lens: 50mm f/1.8
Exposure: 13s
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 100
Metering: Evaluative Metering
White Balance: Cloudy
Date and Time taken: 02.12.2008, 16:05

The photo above I shot with JPEG and the editing process was in increasing contrast, brightness and sharpness. I also cropped the upper side of the spoon. That's all.

2. RAW image:

Camera: Canon 400D - Lens: 50mm f/1.8
Exposure: 1/10s
Aperture: f/3.2
ISO: 100
Metering: Partial Metering
White Balance: Cloudy
Date and Time taken: 18.02.2009, 16:05

The photo above I shot in RAW file. The editing occurred in increasing contrast, cropping and straightening the image so the cake stood out clearly. That's all.

As you might notice that I set my white balance to cloudy for those photo above since I shot them when the sky was cloudy. You can see as well that I love taking photo when it almost dawn as the light is soft. When I shot during shiny day, I always used daylight as the white balance.

Hope my short posting about software and the before-after photos could give you something.

Have a nice day mates!

11 comments:

Kitchen Flavours April 8, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Wow dear...Informative post. Luscious pics....

Ipoet - Gata's Mom April 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM

bermanfaat nih say..TFS yah

Lia April 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM

thanks infonya sefa bermanfaat banget deh, btw boleh minta emel kamu? mau tanya info soal dlsr nih :((

Judith April 9, 2009 at 2:08 AM

Ya ampyuuuunn bevor nya aja dah cakep gitu.. ck ck.. jago motret deh dikau Sef.. top markotop! Kenapa nggak dibisniskan aja Sef? Buka Studio Sef ;)

Bisa nggak ya kalo aku ikutin tahap2 sepertimu itu, mengingat cameraku cuma camera biasa2 aja. Dulu aku pake cameraphone Nokia N73,trus sejak akhir Desember tahun kemarin ganti pake digital camera biasa dari Sony :( piye Sef? bisa kan ya?.. Seperti biasa daku otak atik di Flickr ato photobucket. Vielen dank Sefa, miss U :D

zorra April 9, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I was quite sure that you don't have to edit your photos much because your are such a dedicated photographer. I love your pics. Thank you for your informative posting. And now I will check out "your" software.

zorra April 9, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Me again, I just saw you have a German cookbook? Backen!

Ammu April 9, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Very informative especially for the people like me. As zorra said, ur original photos looks awesome too.

Kitchen Corner April 11, 2009 at 3:11 PM

TFS ya Fa...kebetulan aku pake Canon 400D juga (since February, 2008), tp fotoku ndak sebagus punyamu, jeh..hehe..emang tergantung'woman behind the gun' ya... problemku adalah saat upload foto ke blog, hiks. (I've already sent my question to your email : sefa1208@gmail.com)

mae April 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM

toss, sampe sekarang meski udah punya PS tetep aja masih cinta sama arcsoft photostudio ku, hehe... thanks ya mbak sharenya :D

A.G April 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM

aku jg msh cinta ama Microsoft Digital IMG suite editor.. bingun aku kl pk PS.

nice pics btw :D

**aku kok blm brani pk raw img ya.. bedane apa seh Sef ?

Yasmeen April 14, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Thanks for sharing your ideas,sefa:)

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”Virginia Woolf

Recent Post

Oatmeal Banana Almond Cookies - 2nd Annual O Foods Contest for Ovarian Cancer Awareness MonthSate PadangThe Beauty of Red and White
Summer DrinkCherry BlossomsClick May 2009: Cookies
Ayam Bumbu Paniki (Chicken ala Paniki) Judging for Click April 2009 - Spring/AutumnBinte Biluhuta

Category

Travel Warning

Indonesia is dangerously beautiful!

Indonesia is not only Bali. We have lots of beautiful places within the 5 biggest islands and thousands of small islands. Please click on the banner above for more information about Indonesian tourisms. And don't forget to explore the beauty of West Sumatra.

Designed by Ourblogtemplates.com © 2008 | Modified by Sefa Firdaus © 2007-2015